No one can argue the ultimate reliability, ruggedness, longevity and simplicity of a Kalashnikov. . . But very few understand how accurate they are and how easily their ergonomics can be enhanced, to make them as effective and serviceable as any other “modern” system.
Here is an example of an enhanced AKM-74 that offers everything a fighting rifle needs. The 5.45×39 caliber is extremely accurate and offers all the terminal ballistics of a 5.56. If not more. . . .
This rifle was commisioned by a retired Army Ranger that is still active in Civilian Defensive and Law Enforcement firearms training. If you can not force yourself to accept the capabilities of this weapon system, just ask the Government, Military, Law Enforcement and Private Security Firearms Instructors that experienced, first hand, how a beat-up, injured, out of shape, Ranger could ABSOLUTELY DECIMATE, PROFUSELY HUMILIATE and UTTERLY EMBARRASS an entire class, with “A bolted together AK, that some guy built in his basement and spray painted”. The sound of egos, being crushed, was deafening. . .
The primary components of this rifle are Bulgarian. It incorporates far more US parts, than needed, to make it 922.r compliant.
Work performed and parts used:
- Barrel cut, crowned and threaded, with a permanently attached muzzle device
- Smith Enterprise, Vortex, Gem-Tech Bi-Lock, suppressor mount
- Krebs Custom key-mod forend rail system
- Krebs Custom enhanced safety selector
- Israeli CAA M4 style, butt stock adapter tube
- Red Star Arms, fully adjustable, tool steel, fire control
- MagPul butt stock and pistol grip
- TWS, full Picatiny rail, Dog Leg, top cover
- Troy folding, front and rear, BUIS
- NoDak Spud US receiver
The barrel trunion of this rifle was drilled and tapped, and secured to the receiver, using six, hardened, stainless steel, button head cap screws. By heating the screws, to defeat the Loc-Tite, and breaking them loose, the entire front end of the rifle could be replaced or reconfigured. Altough it’s not intended to be a modular, quick-change, system, the end user could later opt to change the barrel and gas system.